Thursday, July 17, 2008

You might be a Grad student if...

A friend of mine sent me a list of 104 ways to know you are a graduate student. I found some of them so true and funny. I thought I'd pass a few along. I added my own comments after each one. Enjoy reading a bit about my life :)

You think you should be paying rent for your office/library chair instead of your home – I sure have felt this way this summer.

You bring a scholarly article everywhere you go – Yup, pretty much everywhere except to church.

You rate coffee shops by the availability of outlets for your laptop – And if there are extension cords so that you can actually reach them.

You have ever discussed academic matters at a sporting event – Actually I have them most places.

You find the bibliographies of books more interesting than the actual text – Well, they are; they are like rabbits holes.

You start referring to stories like "Snow white, et al" – I think this one is funny :)

You have a coffee maker, phone charger, and food in a lab – And a fridge, microwave, radio.

You write programs for classes that have nothing to do with programming – We write programs “for fun” and enjoy it.

You procrastinate on one project by working on another project – There is always productive procrastination.

You can't calculate a mean unless you're using SPSS or SAS – Thankfully I can calculate a mean without SPSS or SAS, but I use SAS on a daily basis.

Sleeping in means sleeping until 8:30 – Yup, I get pretty excited if the hour I see upon opening my eyes is after 8:00.

Everything reminds you of something in your discipline – Statistics are everywhere!

Professors don't really care when you turn in work anymore – Sometimes.

You've ever brought books with you on vacation and actually studied – I know, it’s sad.

The professor doesn't show up to class and you discuss the readings anyway – Yup.

You get a 3-hour final with 5 questions or less – My 2 day exam was only 6 questions.

You've memorized your professors' home phone numbers – Yup.

Your professors know your home phone number – And call it.

More than 25% of your textbook is "left as an exercise for the reader." – It’s more like 50% and this past semester 2 of my 3 courses used books written by the professor.

No comments: